Currently 0 TOURS in itinerary.
5 Day 4WD Top End Adventure from Darwin
Our Basix trips are amazing experiences at a great price. Each trip has an expert local leader, and plenty of free time for optional extras. We camp at permanent campsites with swags and sleeping bags and nearby shared bathroom facilities. Tents may be permanently erected twin or quad share, you may need to erect your own pop up tent or roll out a swag (Aussie bedroll) to sleep under the stars. We provide simple camp mattresses and recommend either BYO travel pillow or use rolled up towel or clothing. We travel in a range of private vehicles from 4WD trucks in the Top End, to comfortable overland vehicles through the Red Centre. The perfect option for a ‘no frills’ trip.
Depending on the tour/campground there will be a sheltered BBQ area for preparing meals and you must be prepared to assist with food preparation, dish washing, collecting firewood etc - plus helping keep the campsite clean and tidy for the next group of travellers. The interactive nature of these tours is a key component to getting more in touch with nature and the Australian culture – the more you put in the more you get out! These tours tend to appeal to active travellers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
· Please note during summer the itinerary can change due to high temperatures.
· Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions, weather extremes, and traditional owner/national park requirements.
· A STRICT luggage limit of 10kg applies in a soft bag or backpack (please store excess luggage at your Darwin Accommodation)
· Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure.
- Included in price:
- * Experienced tour guide * wildlife cruise * Pudakul Aboriginal cultural experience * national park entrance fees * meals as indicated * accommodation transfers * 4 nights camping fees & equipment
- Able to be purchased/hired:
- $35 Sleeping bag hire can be paid on the day.
- What to bring:
- * Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high) * swimming gear * hat & sunscreen * toiletries * towel * water bottle (1.5L) * torch * insect repellent * camera * pillow * sleeping bag (can be purchased for $35).
- Fitness level required:
- Child policies:
- Children under 7 years not permitted on this tour. Children 8-12 years may travel at the child price.
- Departure points:
- Darwin, Northern Territory
- Departure time:
6:20 AM Tue, Fri, Sun
- Pickup/departure instructions:
- Tour operates Tuesdays and Fridays from April to October, with additional Sunday departures in July and August. Tours depart from Melaleuca on Mitchell, 52 Mitchell St, Darwin at 6:20am. Hotel pick up times, if available, will be confirmed at the time of booking. Please add your pre-tour accommodation details in the space provided on the booking form.
- 3 Days
- Approximate Return Time:
- Early evening on Day 5.
- Adventure Tours Australia
- Darwin, Kakadu National Park, Katherine Gorge, Litchfield National Park, Mary River Wetlands, Ubirr and Jim Jim Falls
- Departs From
The highlights of this camping trip include 4WD adventures, learning about Aboriginal culture, visiting Gunlom Falls as well as the breathtaking Jim Jim Falls in Kakadu National Park. We visit Litchfield National Park as well as the beautiful Katherine Gorge. You’ll have the chance to go croc-spotting on a wildlife boat trip and you’ll sleep under the stars of the top end in either a tent or in a swag (Aussie bedroll). This tour starts and ends in Darwin and runs over five days and four nights.
* 4WD Adventure
* Aboriginal Culture
* Gunlom Falls
* Jim Jim Falls
* Kakadu National Park
* Katherine Gorge
* Litchfield National Park
* Maguk (Barramundi Gorge)
* Mary River Wetlands
* Nitmiluk National Park
* Twin Falls
* Wildlife boat trip
Day 1 – Darwin to Kakadu
DEFAULT PICK UP: Melaleuca on Mitchell, 52 Mitchell St Darwin, 06:20am.
Leaving Darwin, we travel into Wulna Country and receive a Cul Cul or unique 'Welcome to Country' by the traditional owners of the land, the Limilngan –Wulna people. They'll share with us their local Aboriginal culture with bush tucker talks, didgeridoo demonstrations, basket weaving and spear throwing^. Next stop is the Mary River wetlands system, with the highest concentration of saltwater crocodiles in the southern hemisphere. Get close (but not too close) to 'salties' and other wild creatures on a unique billabong cruise. We arrive at history rich Ubirr in time for sunset. You will see vivid Aboriginal rock art that dates back over 20,000 years. Then we head to our overnight camp in Kakadu. (LD)
Day 2 – Kakadu
It's an early start this morning as we travel to Twin Falls, getting in some 4WD action along the way. The spectacular gorge is experienced onboard a National Park operated boat cruise and a walk along the boardwalk. Unwind and relax for a bit on the sandy banks before we head to explore Jim Jim Falls. (Twin and Jim Jim Falls not available year round; subject to seasonal availability^^). First we have a quick lunch break and then take in the views of this 200m natural wonder before taking the challenging walk to the base where you can choose to swim or relax on the beautiful beach. This is really a site to admire and not rush so we spend the whole afternoon enjoying the spectacular scenery and waterholes before making the short drive to our overnight bush camp. (BLD)
Day 3 – Kakadu to Katherine Gorge
With more amazing waterfalls to experience we either head to Maguk and cool off with a dip in the plunge pools, or hike to the top of Gunlom Falls for a swim and the breathtaking view of the escarpment country. After lunch we visit the historic gold-mining centre of Pine Creek, before heading further south and settling in for the night at our private campsite on the doorstep of Nitmuluk National Park. (BLD)
Day 4 –Katherine Gorge
We spend the morning at the majestic Katherine Gorge in Nitmiluk National Park. Relax and enjoy the serenity. Want to see more? Take a cruise along the gorge or rent a canoe and paddle yourself downstream. These options are seasonal and at your own expense. Next we head off to Edith Falls where you can cool down with another refreshing swim. Settle down for the night in a comfortable camp with your group. (BLD)
Day 5 – Litchfield to Darwin
Filled with waterholes and waterfalls, Litchfield National Park is well deserving of all its hype and the perfect place to soak up the tranquility of the tropics. Exploring Litchfield is the perfect way to complete this tour, visiting Florence Falls, Wangi Falls and the Buley Rockholes. Enjoy a picnic lunch, stroll through steamy rainforests and cool off with a dip in one of Litchfield's picture perfect swimming holes. As with all good things, this Top End tour must come to an end. Hit the road and head back to Darwin to enjoy an optional night on the town toasting your adventure with new friends. (BL)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner