Currently 0 TOURS in itinerary.
Tiwi Island Cultural Experience by Ferry
Transport to Bathurst Island is by ferry for this tour and is included in the price.
- Included in price:
- Return Ferry to Bathurst Island, local guide, morning tea, and museum entry.
- Able to be purchased/hired:
- Lunch can be purchased back on board the vessel after your morning touring on the island.
- What to bring:
- - Comfortable walking shoes - Sunglasses, sunscreen and hat - Water bottle - Camera - Jacket in cooler months - Small soft bag (no suitcases please)
- Fitness level required:
- Not specified
- Child policies:
- Children 2-15 years of age are entitled to the child price for tour & ferry. Infants up to and including 1 year old are free of charge.
- Departure points:
- Darwin, Northern Territory
- Departure time:
7:30 AM Thu, Fri
- Pickup/departure instructions:
- Make your own way to Cullen Bay Ferry Terminal to board your ferry by 7.00AM. The tour operates Thursday and Friday (excluding Public Holidays) from April to November only.
- Approximately 9.5 Hours
- Approximate Return Time:
- 5.00PM approximately to Cullen Bay Ferry Terminal, Darwin
Ferry Crossing to Bathurst Island.
Today you‚Äôre up early to get started on a day that you‚Äôll long remember. Make your own way to Cullen Bay Ferry Terminal to board your ferry ‚Äď the ‚ÄúPacific Cat‚ÄĚ and after a 2 hour cruise you‚Äôll arrive at Bathurst Island. Upon arrival at the Aboriginal community of Nguiu on Bathurst Island you will meet your Local Guide who will take you on a journey through the progressive, modern day Aboriginal community of Nguiu (Wurrumiyanga).
Morning Tea with the Tiwi Ladies.
At morning tea you can enjoy billy tea and damper whilst we spend time with some Tiwi Ladies while they work on their weaving and painting. Your guides and the ladies will also demonstrate their totem dances and perform a smoking ceremony to bless their visitors and explain the meanings behind them.
First you will visit the museum with its interesting displays of traditional art and depictions of the Tiwi ‚Äėdreamtime‚Äô stories and Early Mission Precinct with its unique Tiwi style Catholic Church. Your guide will tell you about the colourful history of the early mission days and learn how the Tiwi people have blended their culture with Christianity.
Arts and crafts co-operatives.
You will also be taken through the world renowned Tiwi arts and crafts co-operatives and see where the artists work and possibly see some of them at work. You also have the opportunity to purchase Tiwi arts and crafts and screen-printed fabric at Island prices.
Lookout and burial site.
Stop at a picturesque lookout, which is the setting of a Tiwi burial site where we can learn some of the complex rituals associated with the Pukamani Poles (burial poles). Your guide will also share their knowledge about traditional bush tucker, bush medicine and the natural fibres and dyes used by the Tiwi people. Return back to the ferry landing to re-board your vessel, departing Bathurst Island for Darwin at 3 pm.